I have decided to take part in this year’s Socktoberfest. If you would like a little insight into my sock making history I have the questionnaire I answered over in the Ravelry group.
- I started making socks in August/September 2006.
- The first pair I cast on for Socktoberfest will be my seventh pair. Not counting 1 or 2 pairs of baby booties.
- I learned how to knit from my first LYS A Good Yarn. Lorraine was an awesome teacher and taught me how to knit in the round on 4 dpns, 2 circs and magic loop. Then she let me pick whichever method I preferred. It was great that I was introduced to all of the methods so that now over time I can switch ‘em up as I choose.
- My first pair is in my projects as Grandmas Socks. Basically I had a bet going with my grandmother that I could learn to knit and complete a pair of socks before she finished the afghan she was working on. Unfortunately we weren’t able to finish our bet because she passed away the day of my second or third class. I do however have the afghan she was working on. Just bound it off from where she finished. As for the socks I finished them and they seem to be holding up fine. They are big and thick so I only wear them during the winter time.
- I have never learned to crochet socks although I have seen some gorgeous ones. I do knit my socks on magic loop now two at a time. I would love to go back to DPNs once I learn how to count. 🙂 I heard a rumour there is a way to knit two socks at once on DPNs. If anyone can show me how to do this I would be much obliged.
- Oh and I live in Ohio now. O-H (I-O) U! 🙂
For Socktoberfest I have decided to work on my mental WIPs. I cast on a pair of socks this weekend for someone’s Christmas present…the ones that I mentally cast on back in oh, March I think it was. Wait no that’s not right, I bought the yarn for these socks like 3 trips to Germany ago so last November. Sigh. Once I finish this sweater I am going to cast on a pair for me and a pair for the boy so that hopefully I can start making progress on those in my “spare time”. I am seriously considering stashing pairs of socks around the house so no matter where I am sitting I have one to work on.